Sunday, November 5, 2023

Quit. Don't quit.

November 4th Run.  I was a bit sore this morning.  I had a good week of training.  The weather was nice so I decided my workout of the day would be an outside three mile run.  This was one of those runs that really makes you hate running.  I was about a mile in a miserable.  My hips were tight and my right knee was sore.  Overall it was just hard.  At 1.2 miles I stopped.  I quit.  I started walking home.   Then the negative self talk started.  After a few blocks I started thinking about motivation versus discipline.  I am motivated.  I have a long list of reasons why I a motivated.  

The actual definition of motivated is:  having an incentive or strong desire to do well or succeed in some pursuit.  Yep, got that.  Discipline on the other hand is defined as:  the ability to make yourself do something even if it is difficult so that you achieve a goal.  OK, work needed there.  As I was making the walk home, I was thinking motivation versus discipline in my mind.  I decided to be disciplined  I turned back around and resumed my run.  I did end up completing all three miles.   The last I really started to loosen up and the third mile was my fastest.   It was still slower than I have been but it was much better than the first mile. 

Stretching.  I stretched for a few minutes after my run and Saturday evening I did some extensive stretching.  I used a massage gun and also stretched the IT band.  I hope tracking my daily pain can be correlated to weather I stretch or not.



No comments:

Post a Comment